Nai Roshni Scheme
The Ministry of Minority Affairs has launched a new scheme for women empowerment, Ministry started Nai Roshni Scheme, which is a Leadership Development Programme for Minority Women in 2012-13. The aim behind the scheme is to empower and instill confidence among minority women, including their neighbors from other communities living in the same village/locality, by providing knowledge, tools, and techniques for interacting with Government systems, banks and other institutions at all levels.
The empowerment of women per se is not only essential for equity in the society but also constitutes a critical element in our fight for poverty reduction, economic growth, and strengthening of civil society.
In our country, women and children are always the worst sufferers in a poverty-stricken family and need support. Empowering women, especially mothers, is even more important as she is the backbone of a house and it is in homes that she nourishes, nurture and molds the character of her offspring.
“Nai Roshni Scheme” is run with the help of NGOs, Civil societies and Government Institutions all over the country for the upliftment of women. It includes various training modules like Leadership of women, Educational Programmes, Health and Hygiene, Swachch Bharat, Financial Literacy, Life Skills, Legal Rights of Women, Digital Literacy and Advocacy for Social and behavioral change, for details on each and every module you can visit the official website which is nairoshni-moma.gov.in.
The objective of the Nai Roshni Scheme is to empower and instill confidence among minority women, including their neighbors from other communities living in the same village/locality, by providing knowledge, tools, and techniques for interacting with Government systems, banks and other institutions at all different levels.
The scheme also aims at empowerment of women from the minority communities and emboldening them to move out of the confines of their home and community and assume leadership roles and assert their rights, collectively or individually, in accessing services, facilities, skills and opportunities besides claiming their due share of development benefits of the Government for improving their lives and living conditions.
Leadership Development Training Modules
The leadership training modules under Nai Roshni Scheme would cover issues relating to:
- Leadership of women
- Advocacy for Social & Behavioural Change
- Swachh Bharat
- Legal rights of women
- Life Skills
- Health & Hygiene
- Educational empowerment
- Nutrition & Food Safety
- Right to Information
- Economic Empowerment of Women
- Digital India
- Gender & Women
- Women & Drudgery
- Violence against Women & Girls
- Introduction to Govt. Mechanisms
The modules mentioned above under Nai Roshni Scheme provide a basic framework to develop training programmes.
The following organizations are eligible under the Nai Roshni Scheme:
- Nurturing/handholding service envisaged in the scheme being linked with advocacy is a field intensive activity. It requires continuous involvement and availability of facilitators at the doorsteps of the target group. The personnel of the Organization 5 implementing the scheme would be required to visit the village/locality periodically for providing nurturing/handholding service to the group of women imparted leadership development training so that they are guided in the use of tools and techniques taught to them and are able to extract the benefit from their efforts. Such field intensive activities are best suited for highly motivated and dedicated community-based organizations. Due to the very nature of women‟s household activities requiring them to stay close to their home, it is important that the organizations implementing this scheme have the experience, personnel, and resources to carry out training in the village/locality where the women reside.
- The organization, to be eligible, should also have prior experience and resources to arrange residential training in recognized Government training institutes or their own facility. It is, therefore, necessary that organizations having the reach, motivation, dedication, manpower, and resources to carry out such training in the villages/localities and also arrange residential training courses for eligible women to participate in the implementation of the scheme. This does not preclude Central and State Government’s training institutes including universities and institutes of higher learning in participating in the implementation of this scheme.
- Organizations which would be eligible for applying for Grants-in-Aid under Nai Roshni Scheme are given below:
(i) Society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
(ii) Public Trust registered under any law for the time being in force.
(iii) Private limited non-profit company registered under Section 25 of the Indian Companies Act, 1956.
(iv) Universities / Institutions of higher learning recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
(v) Training institutes of Central and State Government /UT Administration including Panchayati Raj Training Institutes.
(vi) Duly registered Cooperative Societies of Women / Self Help Groups.
(vii) State Channelizing Agencies of State Government.
For more details, one can visit the official website which is nairoshni-moma.gov.in.